We originally created this blog to keep family and friends updated about our little man Jacob, who was diagnosed in the summer of 2011 with a rare, life-limiting genetic disease called Niemann-Pick (type A/B). Jacob earned his angel wings on November 15, 2012, but remains our daily inspiration and constant reminder that we must live in the moment and fill each day with JOY, LAUGHTER and an abundance of LOVE.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

{Love}

Josh and I just celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary (12 years together)! We met when I was 19 years old and Josh was 22...awwwwe, young love. I was just a few months away from moving off to college and definitely wasn't looking for a serious relationship. In fact, I even gave him the wrong phone number when he first asked for it. He still teases me about that! Regardless, I think sometimes love finds a way of sneaking up on us.
Obviously, I have pics way older than this, but none digitally. 1st digital pic dating back to NYE 2006 - James Bond themed cruise around the SF Bay.
About a month after meeting Josh, he was very seriously injured and after undergoing surgery, he had a long road of recovery ahead of him. I barely knew Josh at the time, yet somehow I knew that I needed to be by his side. When I finally left for college we decided to have a long distance relationship, which was extended by a few extra years when I took my first 'career' job. We spent countless hours on late night phone calls (after Josh got off work) talking about our days and traveled thousands of miles over the years to spend our weekends together as often as possible. Fast forward 7 years (yep, it took a while) and Josh finally popped the question. I said "yes", of course! We bought our first home and one year later we got married.

One of my favorite action shots from our wedding, when we busted a move during our surprise 1st dance.

{Love} it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
Corinthians 13:7-8

I find it somewhat ironic; partially insightful; overwhelming at times; and every bit grateful in knowing that we are truly living out the vows we shared on August 29th, 2009.

We may disagree on some things and he may be the reason that I have mastered "the look" (you ladies know what I'm talking about), but at the end of the day, there is no other person on earth who I'd rather spend my life with. Josh has supported me through a multitude of life challenges and decisions; just as I have supported him through his. I know every trigger word that leads into his many jokes, but yet, he still always knows how to make me laugh.

Josh has a wonderfully positive outlook on life and a contagious laugh, which is probably one of the things that I love most about him. He helps balance out my type-A, overly-planned and perfectionist personality. Josh is a hardworking man and an absolutely wonderful daddy or 'dada', as Kelly babbles at him. On the days where I had to spend hours managing doctor appointments, ordering tube feeding supplies, and battling out insurance bills, I could rest assured knowing that Josh was cuddling up with Jake watching SpongeBob and showing him the utmost love every minute of the day when I couldn't do it myself. Never in my worst nightmares could I have imagined losing a child to a terminal illness, but it happened...we live this reality daily and comfort each other the best that we can. Even despite the most challenging and tear-filled times, I know I can count on Josh to be right there when I need him most. We have worked hard to maintain our relationship, even when it felt like the world was falling apart around us.

I read recently that "the couples that are MEANT TO BE are the ones who go through everything that's designed to tear them apart and come out even STRONGER." Pretty fitting I think...

Looking forward to the future joys that life will bring us!
First snuggles with our little bundle of boy, Jakey.

Loving our little miss Kelly Joy

Thanks for letting me share the mushy stuff.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the mushy stuff. And I'm sure I'm not alone. You and Josh are an amazing couple. You show us all how to live love! Wishing you many, many more mush anniversaries! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true love story Sarah. I LOVE everything about this. "Love never fails", right? Steven and I met at 19 too, and there is something about"growing up" with the person you love that makes your love forever strong. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU TWO ARE AN AMAZING COUPLE, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS! WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH! YET THROUGH IT ALL YOU WERE AMAZING. I CANT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE BOTH OF YOU AND JAKE AND KELLY JOY! YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY AND ARE SO LOVING!! DONT EVER CHANGE CAUSE YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!! LOVE YOU, GRAMMA GRACE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post!!! Happy anniversary :) Brett and I are together 12 years as well - 2001 saw lots of us meeting, so funny. Glad you were able to enjoy some bonding time at Tahoe to celebrate - it's so so good to have something to celebrate! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that was so beautiful-thank you for sharing your love story. xoxo, Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant believe it has already been 4 years since we were celebrating with you both, it seems like just yesterday! While you have always been a great couple, it has been such an inspiration watching you both become such strong and amazing parents to both Jacob and Kelly. I love that you have been able to lean on each other and truly be each other's support team. It has been such a blessing watching both of you grown into truly inspiration people and parents. Thank you for letting us be a part of the beautiful life you have created!
    ~Mat, Linsay and Allison

    ReplyDelete