We originally created this blog to keep family and friends updated about our little man Jacob, who was diagnosed in the summer of 2011 with a rare, life-limiting genetic disease called Niemann-Pick (type A/B). Jacob earned his angel wings on November 15, 2012, but remains our daily inspiration and constant reminder that we must live in the moment and fill each day with JOY, LAUGHTER and an abundance of LOVE.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Mother's Love

Today is a day to celebrate the amazing mommas in our lives -- Happy Mother's Day!! Sending special thoughts to all the mothers who have lost a child, especially to those having their first Mother's Day without their precious little ones. This is not an easy day...I know. I miss my Jakey boy so very much!!!

Today, I'm grateful for my sweet kiddos. Jacob and Kelly have brought such immense joy into my life, taught me countless life lessons, and gave me the opportunity to feel what it's like to love unconditionally. Becoming a mom was the moment when I found true happiness. I have experienced a love so deep that I wonder how my heart is even big enough to hold it all!

Motherhood has opened up my worldview and allowed (often forcing) me to experience emotions more fully than I ever thought possible -- joy, love, affection, empathy, anger, fear, courage, hope, envy, compassion, heartache, grief. Out of all these emotions, nothing quite compares to a mother's love for her child -- a love that knows no limits. For the mothers like me, who's hopes, dreams and lives have been forever changed because they have/had a beautiful child with special needs; we ride this emotional roller coaster daily.

Despite being given the most devastating news possible [Jacob's NPD diagnosis], I chose not to dwell on an uncertain future, but rather focused on the present because every minute with Jacob was a gift. That's not to say that things weren't difficult, even with everything I experienced with Jacob; I was able to find the joy in each and every day. Jacob was a true joy in my life -- he still is.

I really never knew how I'd be able to go on in life without being a mom, which is why Josh and I chose to have another baby. I have been blessed with Kelly, who has given me a second chance to raise a child and to enjoy all the "firsts" without fear that they'll soon be lasts. I get to be a 'mommy', which is the only thing I've ever truly wanted in my life. Having Kelly does not take away the pain of losing Jake, but she has brought joy back into my life during a time where it felt like everything else had been taken away. Kelly gives me at least a hundred reasons to smile each day.

I promise I don't intend for this to be a sad post...really, I don't. I have felt a lot of mixed emotions about this day and just wanted to share a bit about how grateful I am to be a mom to two amazing babies. Jakey will always be a baby to me.

Since it's Mother's Day, I do want to show some love for the two most important moms in my life. I'm so grateful for my Mom (Kathy) and mother-in-law (Sheila), who have supported our family through the most difficult time in our lives, even when there were no words of comfort to offer. There will never be a 'thank you' big enough to express our gratitude for all that you do for us. Love you both!!

I went through some pictures to find some of my favorites with my little man and I ~ precious memories and moments in time that I will cherish always!! So grateful to be your mommy sweet Jakey.

I knew I loved you before I met you

1st day at home with my sweet bundle of BOY!

My happy boy ready for his 1st time at the beach

Checking out the fishies with momma

Little man loved going to the Zoo

A little fun at the lake - Jaker's 1st camping trip

At Bodega Bay - one of our best family vacations. Love that Jakey used to always hold my hands

Snuggled up with Momma on Christmas morning and resting his head on my shoulder, his favorite way to snuggle

One of the only pics I have with both kiddos - Jakey's little footsies and baby Kelly in my tummy
"No one else will ever know the strength of my LOVE for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."

7 comments:

  1. Happy mother's day, Sarah. You are the best darn mommy Jake and Kelly could have ever wanted - here with you, or somewhere beyond. Hope you enjoy your day xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing to warm the heart like reading about how much a momma loves her babies! What a beautiful post, Sarah! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love for your children is so beautiful Sarah. I am so glad Kelly is bringing you joy and helping you smile though your list of first without jake. Happy Mother's Day. You are an amazing momma. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Sarah, this was so beautiful. I Loved all the photos of you pregnant and with sweet Jake. I miss him so much for you. I wish he was here today, I am glad you have Kelly to help a little with your heart. I was so touched when you said, you don't have to worry about her firsts being her lasts, I am glad you can relax in her love and life. xoxo ,Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much love to you every day of the year! Your family will always be in my prayers and jake will alway be in heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post and pictures. Mother's Day will always be a happy and sad time, all at once.

    ReplyDelete